Promenade Taché is an interpretive walk on the banks of the Red River along Taché Avenue from the Provencher Bridge to the Norwood Bridge in St. Boniface. It was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 6 October 1984. This plaque, which describes the arrival in 1844 of the four Grey Nuns to St. Boniface and their decades of service to children, the sick and the elderly, is located at the foot of Rue Despins.
Grey Nuns Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.88730, W97.12398
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arrival of the Grey Nuns at the Red River Colony Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns Monument (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marguerite D’Youville Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Soeurs Grises Monument (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns’ Convent (RM of St. Francois Xavier)
The Grey Nuns and the Red River Settlement by Sister Marie Bonin
Manitoba History, Number 11, Spring 1986
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2011
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.