This monument was unveiled in 1944 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the arrival at the Red River Settlement of four Grey Nuns after a 59-day canoe journey from Montreal. The plaque is located in La Verendrye Park on Tache Avenue, on the east side from Dollard Boulevard to Rue Despins.
Grey Nuns Monument (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88545, W97.12315
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns Convent Monument (RM of La Broquerie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arrival of the Grey Nuns at the Red River Colony Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Les Soeurs Grises-Grey Nuns Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marguerite D’Youville Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Soeurs Grises Monument (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns’ Convent (RM of St. Francois Xavier)
The Grey Nuns and the Red River Settlement by Sister Marie Bonin
Manitoba History, Number 11, Spring 1986
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.