Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arrival of the Grey Nuns at the Red River Colony Plaque (Winnipeg)
Located on the walking trail along the Red River behind St. Boniface Hospital and just north of the Norwood Bridge, this plaque describes the arrival, on 21 June 1844, of four Grey Nuns from Montreal, and their landing in front of St. Boniface Church, beginning their service as teachers, missionaries and nurses, roles that continue to this day throughout Western Canada.
Grey Nuns Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.88285, W97.12855
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns Monument (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Les Soeurs Grises-Grey Nuns Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marguerite D’Youville Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Soeurs Grises Monument (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns’ Convent (RM of St. Francois Xavier)
The Grey Nuns and the Red River Settlement by Sister Marie Bonin
Manitoba History, Number 11, Spring 1986
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 February 2012
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.