Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rover Avenue Electric Terminal (199 Annabella Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Located on Rover Avenue between Rachel Street and McFarlane Street North, this building was constructed as part of the Winnipeg Hydro Electric System (later known as City Hydro, now Manitoba Hydro) system that brought electricity into Winnipeg from the Pointe du Bois Generating Station. Tenders were called in December 1910 and the Consulting Board of Engineers selected the J. McDiarmid Company offer over the lowest bid of the Claydon Construction Company. A spur line to the site was built from the Canadian Pacific Railway main line down Rachel Street. Site excavation was completed by December 1910 and construction took place during the first half of 1911, then equipment was installed. The finished two-storey brick and stone building measured 60 feet by 100 feet and included a basement.

The building underwent operational testing in early October 1911. Power brought by transmission lines from Pointe du Bois was stepped-down here from 60,000 volts to 12,000 volts before being redirected around the city. Initially, three sub-stations were planned: the downtown Sub-Station No. 1 on King Street, Sub-Station No. 2 on McPhillips Street, and Sub-Station No. 3 on May Street, where the voltage was further reduced for transmission to local service lines. In 1919, Sub-Station No. 5 was built in the southern part of the city.

The original structure has been enlarged several times, starting in 1913-1914 with a $35,000 extension built by the Fort Garry Construction Company. In 1924, the adjacent properties were acquired from the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company. The street address for the facility changed from 30 Rover Avenue to 199 Annabella (formerly Rachel) Street.

A concrete wall was built around the facility following the 1950 flood.

Photos & Maps

Preparation of the Rover Terminal site

Preparation of the Rover Terminal site (July 1910)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

Construction of the Rover Terminal building

Construction of the Rover Terminal building (August 1910)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

Construction of the Rover Terminal building

Construction of the Rover Terminal building (December 1910)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

The completed Rover Terminal building

The completed Rover Terminal building (no date)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

Interior of the Rover Terminal building

Interior of the Rover Terminal building (no date)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

Aerial view of the Rover Terminal building during the 1950 Winnipeg flood

Aerial view of the Rover Terminal building during the 1950 Winnipeg flood (May 1950)
Source: Manitoba Hydro

Rover Avenue Electric Terminal

Rover Avenue Electric Terminal (August 2016)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.90654, W97.12021
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois Generating Station (Pointe du Bois, Whiteshell Provincial Park)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois Staff House (Pointe du Bois, Whiteshell Provincial Park)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois Stone House (Pointe du Bois, Whiteshell Provincial Park)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Slave Falls Generating Station (Winnipeg River, Whiteshell Provincial Park)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rover Avenue Electric Terminal (199 Annabella Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hydro Sub-Station No. 1 (54 King Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hydro Sub-Station No. 2 (300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: May Street Sub-Station / Winnipeg Hydro Sub-Station No. 3 (541 Waterfront Drive, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hydro Sub-Station No. 5 (Scotland Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“City calls for tender,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 December 1909, page 9.

“City of Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 December 1909, page 5.

“City of Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 January 1910, page 5.

“City of Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 February 1910, page 2.

“Tenders for Power Station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 February 1910, page 1.

“Big contracts go to old country,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 February 1910, page 1.

“Why was lowest tender rejected,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 March 1910, page 5.

“Contracts for electrical equipment,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 March 1910, page 1.

“Will award go to lowest tenderer,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 March 1910, page 2.

“Council supports Board of Control,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 March 1910, page 2.

“Tenders called on conduit system,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 March 1910, page 10.

“Reports progress on two subways,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 May 1910, page 11.

“City of Winnipeg Hydro-Electric power development at Point du Bois,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 May 1910, page 2.

“Construction is up to contract,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 May 1910, page 3.

“100,000 H.P. capacity,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 May 1910, page 3.

“Civic power plant to be opened August 15,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 July 1911, page 1.

“Fifty-five thousand volts came over municipal lines from Point du Bois today,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 October 1911, page 1.

“Terminal Station addition permit,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 August 1913, page 1.

“Tenders [for Termination Station Annex],” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 June 1914, page 5.

“Power line to be ready by September,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 January 1921, page 1.

“Hydro terminal to be extended,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 June 1924, page 3.

“Well wanted for Rover St. hydro plant,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 August 1924, page 2.

“Dependable,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 March 1925, page 3.

“How the hydro grows,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 February 1927, page 13.

“Protest made against power line towers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 September 1927, page 5.

We thank Bruce Owen (Manitoba Hydro) for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 27 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.