Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois Staff House (Pointe du Bois, Whiteshell Provincial Park)
A four-storey brick and concrete building near the Pointe du Bois Hydroelectric Generating Station was built to accommodate workers employed by the Winnipeg Hydro-Electric System (forerunner of Winnipeg Hydro, now merged with Manitoba Hydro). Designed by Frederick Francis LeMaistre (1877-1955) of the company’s engineering staff, construction by the James McDiarmid Company began on 31 March 1926 under the supervision of J. M. Morton. Measuring 38 feet wide and 54 feet long, the building had a verandah and balconies on the front facing the Winnipeg River. In the basement was a cook’s residence, boiler room, and storeroom. On the ground floor was a sitting room with an open fireplace, and a reading and writing room and dining room separated by folding doors that enabled them to be connected when a larger space was needed. There was also a kitchen, pantry and pastry room, and wash room. The second and third floors had identical layouts, each with seven single bedrooms, one double bedroom, and lavatories with showers rather than bathtubs. Space was available in the attic for four or five additional bedrooms, if needed. An official opening ceremony occurred on 15 August 1926.
“New staff residence at Pointe Du Bois,” The Dotted Line, Vol. 2, No. 9, September 1926, page 10. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Diane McMillan for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 June 2018
Back to top of page