Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosewell School No. 1071 (RM of Roland)
The Rosewell School District was established in May 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE5-4-3W in the Rural Municipality of Roland. The district was dissolved in 1968 and its area became part of the Winkler School District and later the Rhineland School Division. No vestige of the school remains at the site.
Among the teachers of Rosewell School were John J. Heinrichs (1906), Jacob B. Hooge (1907), Jacob H. Voth (1908), Peter F. Wiebe (1908-1909), F. Kraemer (1909-1910), H. A. Muller (1910), Fred A. Justus (1911-1912), William Bellon (1912-1913), J. P. Penner (1913), A. L. Toews (1914-1915), Gerhard R. Wiebe (1915-1917), Jacob E. Suderman (1917-1921), Isaac H. Voth (1921-1923), John B. Enns (1923-1925), Harry H. Rempel (1925-1926 & night school), Nic. G. Neufeld (1926-1927), Bernhard B. Boldt (1932-1933), Jacob Dyck Penner (1937-1938), David J. Reimer (1940-1943), John Herbert Krieger (1944-1949), Bernard Dyck Klippenstein (1950-1954), George H. Olfert (1954-1957), Elmer Bartel (1957-1960), Raymond M. “Ray” Friesen (1960-1963), and Jacob Pauls (1963-1964).
Roland West topographic map, 62H/5 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosewell School No. 1071 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 27 January 2018
Back to top of page