Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosewell School (McLeod Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Rosewell School operated at this site as early as 1910, at that time in East Kildonan and within the East Kildonan School District No. 14. When the municipality split, thus esatablishing North Kildonan in 1925, so too did the school district, with this site then becoming part of the North Kildonan School District No. 2116 in November 1924. It operated within until joining the newly created McIvor School District No. 2323 in June 1950 just before the school closed. It was replaced when New Rosewell School opened, combining the students with those from McIvor School. The former school building was sold for $500 and moved to 700 Munroe Avenue (about N49.91302, W97.08427) where it was used as part of the Morse Place Community Club.
The teachers who worked at McIvor School were M. Alexander (1910), Keuzir MacRae (1910), Margaret J. Fraser (1910-1911), Bessie Stoller (1912-1913), J. Wesley Harris (1913), Bertha E. Symons (1913-1914), Mary P. Ramsay (1914-1918), Gladys V. Anderson (1919), Kathleen Rose Klinck (1919-1920 & 1930-1932, wife of Peter de Graff), Para Cornelia Malkovich Prodan (1920-1922), Mary G. Andrew (1922-1923), Bergthara Emil Johnson (1923-1925), Alexander “Alex” Cowan (1925-1930), Ella Susanna Jackson (1932-1949), and Mary Regehr (1949-1950).
Photos & Maps
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosewell School (East Kildonan School District No. 14) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rosewell School (North Kildonan School District No. 2116) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, New Rosewell School (McIvor School District No. 2323) Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.
Obituary [Para Cornelia Prodan], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 July 1970, page 24.
Obituary [Hugh Robert McCaw], Winnipeg Free Press, 5 November 1974, page 37.
Obituary [Kathleen Rose DeGraff], Winnipeg Free Press, 19 December 1974, page 35.
We thank June Sanderson for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 31 October 2017
Back to top of page