Historic Sites of Manitoba: Plum Coulee School No. 651 (Plum Coulee, Municipality of Rhineland)
The Plum Coulee School District was organized in April 1891 and a school operated in the village of Plum Coulee in what is now the Municipality of Rhineland. In late 1919, a four-classroom, one-storey brick school building was constructed on a design by Winnipeg architect H. W. Greene and the former three-room school building and site was sold at auction. This school was replaced by another one-storey structure built in 1931. It became the Plum Coulee Consolidated School District No. 2446 in 1967, combining with Bloomfield School No. 793, Neu Kronsthal School No. 1137, Hamburg School No. 2139, and Kleefeld School No. 2160.
Among the teachers of Plum Coulee School were Angus McGregor (1897) and Leonard Krueger (?-1938).
Photos & Maps
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
“Plum Coulee, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, June 1911, Archives of Manitoba.
“Tenders for the building of a school,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 July 1919, page 12.
“Auction sale of school site, school buildings and furnace,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 February 1920, page 54.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 June 2018