Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bloomfield School No. 793 (RM of Roland)
The Bloomfield School District was established in February 1894 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW11-4-3W in the Rural Municipality of Roland. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Plum Coulee Consolidated School District and later the Rhineland School Division. The school is commemorated by a metal sign at its former site.
Among the teachers who worked at Bloomfield School through the years were: Sarah E. Goldsmith (1894), Emma Goldsmith (1894-1896), Eva M. Salter (1897), Mabel Y. Gray (1899), P. A. Schellenberg, Ernie Friesen (1936-1940), Anne Friesen Goertzen (1940-1943), Herta Krahn Thiessen (1943-1946), Melitta Warkentin Friesen (1946-1948), Mr. J. M. Klassen (1948-1951), Anne Bueckert Braun (1951-1954), Rodney Siemens (1954-1956), Tony Driedger (1956-1958), Mr. Penner (1958-c1959), Rose Penner (1959-c1960), Menno Giesbrecht (1962-1964), James Penner (1965-1966), and Hilda Dalke (1966-1967).
Roland West topographic map, 62H/5 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Gerald Neufeld and Florence Hooge-Driedger for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 July 2017
Back to top of page