Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neu Kronsthal School No. 1137 (RM of Rhineland)
The Neu Kronsthal School District was established in June 1901 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW19-3-2W in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. Around 1940, during the early part of the Second World War, the district name was partially Anglicized from “Neu” to “New,” though the post-war years saw a return to the original spelling. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Plum Coulee Consolidated School District and later the Rhineland School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Neu Kronsthal School were Jacob G. Neufeld (1919), William H. Lloyd (1919), W. P. Neufeld (1919-1920), P. F. Winters (1920), J. J. Toews (1920-1921), H. H. Janzen (1921-1923), John H. Giesbrecht (1923-1924), G. H. K. Dyck (1924), C. H. Hiebert (1924-1925, 1926-1927), H. P. Giesbrecht (1925), Bernhard B. Boldt (1927-1930), Peter Dirks (1930-1935), Paul Andrew Wallmann (1935-1937), John [A.?] Pauls (1937-1940), Jacob G. Siemens (1940-1943), Wilfred Boyd Brown (1943), Edna Siemens (1943-1944), Helene Sawatzky (1944-1945), Philip P. “Phil” Giesbrecht (1945-1948), William Peter Born (1949-1953), John L. Doerksen (1953-1957), Benjamin Hiebert (1957-1959), Opal Eunice Friesen (1959-1960), Alfred Stephan Klassen (1960-1962), Annamarie Bergen (1962-1963), and Henry Dueck (1963-1966).
Altona East topographic map, 62H/4 East, Edition 1 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Neu Kronsthal School District No. 1137 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 May 2018
Back to top of page