Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources
Known also as the Elkhorn Industrial School and the Washakada Indian Residential School, the first school at this site in Elkhorn was constructed in 1888. It burned to the ground in the late 1890s. It was replaced by a large, brick building in 1897, which remained open until February 1918. It was reopened in January 1924 and operated until permanent closure in June 1949. The building was demolished in May 1951. The ruins of the school are still visible on land owned by the Village of Elkhorn. A nearby cemetery contains burials of those who died while at the school.
Among the teachers at the Elkhorn Indian Residential School was William H. Bradley.
Photos & Maps
Postcard view of Elkhorn Indian Residential School (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2013-0084
Postcard view of the Elkhorn Indian Residential School (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0049
Ruins of the Elkhorn Indian Residential School (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.97707, W101.25095
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Indian Residential School (RM of Cornwallis)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Indian Residential School Cemetery (RM of Cornwallis)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Old Indian Residential School Cemetery (Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birtle Indian Residential School (Birtle, Municipality of Prairie View)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elkhorn Indian Residential School (Elkhorn, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: MacKay Indian Residential School (Opaskwayak Cree Nation)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Portage la Prairie Indian Residential School (Crescent Road West, Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Creek Indian Residential School / Camperville Indian Residential School (Pine Creek First Nation)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Norway House Indian Residential School (Norway School)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Julia Clark School (611 Academy Road, Winnipeg)
TimeLinks: Washakada Home, Elkhorn, c1902
TimeLinks: Garden at Washakada Home, c1915
Elkhorn Indian Residential School, Elkhorn, MB, Anglican Church of Canada.
We thank Kevin Tutthill for assistance in locating this site.
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1981: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, page 86.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.