Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakville School No. 655 (Oakville, RM of Portage la Prairie)
The bell on top of a monument in front of the present Oakville School came from the preceding school building erected in 1906 that was destroyed by fire in May 1959. That school resulted from the consolidation of several surrounding smaller schools, including Elm River School No. 622, Oakville School No. 655, Fortier School No. 741, Ingleside School No. 831, Beautiful Valley School No. 924, Mill Creek School No. 929, and East Curtis School No. 1187. A monument at the school site was erected in 1970 by the citizens of Oakville and district.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2019