Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fortier School No. 741 (Fortier, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Known at the time of its establishment in February 1893 as Willow Range School, and situated in the southeast quarter of 23-11-4 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie, the school was later renamed Fortier School after the surrounding community. The building was torn off its foundation by a tornado in 1938 so it was torn down and a larger school replaced it. The school closed in 1966 and was consolidated into Oakville School. The building was later used as a grain-cleaning plant.

Some of the teachers who worked at Fortier School included C. M. Ferguson, Mr. Balford, Frances Carr, Louisa Lough, Howard L. Irvine, Alice A. Jones, Mary Louise Kletzky, Jessie C. Ewing, Ealnor Crake, Mary V. Woods, Annie M. Townsley, Lavina Morgan, Florence O. Lewis, Florence M. Beam, Margaret Maxwell, Sara Cameron, Eleanor Newton, Lila Trimble, and Ruth Whyte (1934-1939).

Original Fortier School building

Original Fortier School building (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 118.

Second Fortier School building

Second Fortier School building (1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey - Fortier 3.

Sketch of the second Fortier School building

Sketch of the second Fortier School building by Charlotte Jones
Source: University Women’s Club of Portage la Prairie.

Fortier School commemorative sign

Fortier School commemorative sign (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.93406, W97.91636
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.