Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elm River School No. 622 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

Elm River School was formally established in May 1890. A building was constructed in the northwest quarter of 35-10-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. It burned down in 1913 and classes were held in Elm River Church until the school was rebuilt. The closed in April 1967 and was consolidated into Oakville School. The building was sold and converted into a private residence.

The teachers who worked at Elm River School included Miss McLaughlin, Eleanor Mills, M. Whitmore, Minnie Alford, Robert Alford, Edna Robertson, Margaret Wood Alford, Lorna Moore, Edith Starrat, Ethel Hedley, Miss Webster, Florence Fahitey, Merrill Brigden, Dorothy Coates, Mary Muir, Bernice Graham, Harriett Scarlett, Norma Bell, Marjorie Sinclair, Margaret Denton, Lillias Stewart, Edna Nicoll, Hazel Poyser, Rowena Sherritt, Christina Hunter, Edna Irvine, Helen Gossen, Gwen Tooth, Peggy Karlowski, Gwen McIntosh, Faye Patterson, Robert Wood, Shirley Inverarity, Rae Creed, Barbara Varga, Shirley Blight, Frieda Dyck, Ellen Hunter, Elfrieda Dueck, and Shirley Case.

Elm River School

Elm River School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 98.

Elm River School commemorative sign

Elm River School commemorative sign (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88659, W98.05076
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 November 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.