Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Transcona School / Beaman School (Springfield Road, Winnipeg)
The one-classroom North Transcona School operated at this Rural Municipality of North Kildonan site, on the north side of Springfield Road (now part of Kil-cona Park), from 1914 to its replacement in 1952, with a period of temporary closure from 1946 to 1947. It was operated jointly by the North Springfield School District and the Rural Municipality of North Kildonan. The school was also locally known as Beaman School, in reference to the Beaman Post Office (1914-1931) located on 17-11-4E, as well as the Beaman family, including siblings Thomas James Beaman (1857-1940), John Beaman (1870-?), and Alice Beaman (1874-1950, wife of Alexander Hudson). Around 1884, Thomas took up residence on northwest 17-11-4E along the south side present Springfield Road, in the Rural Municipality of Springfield, and farmed for many years before retiring to Winnipeg. The Beaman name also helped to differentiate the school from the nearby North School in the Transcona School District that was sometimes identified incorrectly “North Transcona School.” No vestige of the former school building remains at the site today. The building’s function was replaced in 1952 by the Prince Charles School.
Among the teachers who worked at North Transcona School were Dorothy Haslam Green (1915-1916), Blanche Jackson (1916-1920), F. G. Matheson (1920-1921), James Barbour (1921-1924), Bergthara Emil Johnson (1924-1925), Ella Susannah Jackson (1925-1932), Harry E. Lawson (1932-1933), Agnes Scott (1933-1937), Jean Lemmon (1937-1938), Genevieve Ann Craig (1938-1941), Annie Dorothy Green (1941-1943), Kathleen Mary Ritchery (1943-1944), Yvonne Datzkiw (1944-1945), Oral Sophia Antonichuk (1945-1946), Anna C. Wilson (1947-1948), Helen Koop (1948-1949), and Edna Funk (1949-1950).
Winnipeg East topographic map, 62H/14 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
North Kildonan’s One-Room School Houses, Part Three by Jim Smith, Facebook.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), McIvor School District No. 2323, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
“Interesting land transaction,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 August 1912, page 36.
“Springfield farm is subdivided,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 June 1914, page 28.
Obituary [Thomas J. Beaman], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 July 1940, page 2.
Obituary [Thomas J. Beaman], Winnipeg Tribune, 27 July 1940, page 19.
“Retires after long service [Alexander Hudson],” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 July 1941, page 14.
“Mrs. A. Hudson funeral held,”, Winnipeg Free Press, 27 June 1950, page 32.
“Funeral Saturday for Alexander Hudson,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 April 1959, page 23.
Death notice [Alexander Hudson], Winnipeg Free Press, 16 April 1959, page 33.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Springfield, 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973, Dugald Women’s Institute.
Page revised: 4 February 2018