Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Manitoba Organization: North Springfield School District No. 38

The North Springfield School District was organized formally in September 1876 and through the years it operated two school sites in Springfield and another in North Kildonan:

North Springfield School / Lorne Hill School (Lorne Hill Road, RM of Springfield)

North Transcona School / Beaman School (Springfield Road, Winnipeg)

Prince Charles School (2177 Springfield Road, RM of Springfield)

In 1968, all remaining schools were closed and the district was dissolved into the Transcona-Springfield School Division.

District Principals

Period

District Principal

1962-1968

William “Bill” Stepaniuk (1933-2018)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Springfield, 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973, Dugald Women’s Institute.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 20 January 2019

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.