Historic Sites of Manitoba: CPR North Transcona Grain Elevator / Parrish & Heimbecker Grain Elevator (70 Roderick Street, RM of Springfield)
A transfer elevator off Springfield Road in the Rural Municipality of Springfield was constructed in 1912 for the Canadian Pacific Railway by the Barnett-McQueen Company of Fort William [now Thunder Bay], Ontario. Built entirely of reinforced concrete, its 65 silos were designed to store up to one million bushels of grain arriving from country elevators across the prairies. Over a period of 12 hours on 18 October 1913, the annex sank into the ground until it listed at an angle of 28.53 degrees. Filled with wheat, holes were bored in the silos so the grain could be removed. A new foundation to bedrock was then constructed under the annex, and it was re-straightened.
Through the years, the elevator was leased by the railway successively to Wiley Low and Company and Eastern Terminal Elevator Company (a subsidiary of James RIchardson and Sons). In 1970, it was purchased by Parrish & Heimbecker and used until closure in Fall 2021.
“Five hundred men work on Transcona yards of C.P.R.,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 June 1912, page 12.
“Big elevator annex sways under strain,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 October 1913, page 1.
“Scheme to save huge Transcona grain elevator,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1913, page 1.
“Million bushel C.P.R. elevator annex is listing,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1913, page 3.
“Contract let to straighten big elevator,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 November 1913, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 October 2021