Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenhope School District / McCarthy School District No. 1861 (RM of McCreary)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Glenhope School District was established formally in March 1917 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE8-21-13W in the Rural Municipality of McCreary. Financing for the school was undertaken via the issuing of debentures; $1,500 in May 1918 and a further $2,000 in September of the same year, to acquire a school site and both complete and furnish a schoolhouse. It was built by D. Menzies in the summer of 1919 and opened to students that fall.

The district operated until being amalgamated into the McCreary Municipal School Disitrct No. 1348 in April 1936, then operating as the Glenhope School within said municipal school district. Two years later, in March 1938, the Glenhope School was reorganized and restored with its original district number before being merged a month later, in April, into the new McCarthy School District No. 1861. This district also contained the former Armstrong School District No. 1833 and Budka School District No. 1717, both likewise re-established in March 1938 (and withdrawn from the McCreary Municipal School District), into the McCarthy School District No. 1861 in April 1938. The McCarthy School District was established with three wards (one for each of the constituent districts) and catchment areas redrawn. The three schools, Glenhope School, Armstrong School, and Budka School, all retained their former district names for their respective schoolhouses.

The Glenhope School operated within the McCarthy School District until it closed during the summer of 1940. In 1967, the McCarthy School District was dissolved into the Turtle River School Division.

Among the teachers who worked at Glenhope School through the years were Miss A. Coglan? (c. August 1919), Mrs. M. Watson (September-November 1919), Wilfred Packlington (December 1919 - December 1920), Helen M. Edie (January-December 1921), Did not operate (Spring 1922 - Fall 1923), Sarah A. Pearl (Spring 1924 - Spring 1926), Sara Elizabeth Harrison (Fall 1926 - pt. Spring 1927), and Edna Matheson (pt. Spring 1927 - Spring 1940).

Glenhope School and teacherage

Glenhope School and teacherage (no date) by H. J. Everall
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 55.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.79269, W99.23990
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #32 School District of Glenhope, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #53 School District of Glenhope, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), #44 School District of Glenhope, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Glenhope School District No. 1861, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Glenhope School District No. 1861 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), McCarthy School District No. 1861 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 1861 - McCarthy (Glenhope), GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Orders-In-Council (EC 0003B), Order-in-Council #29520, GR1530, Archives of Manitoba.

Orders-In-Council (EC 0003B), Order-in-Council #432/36, #320/38, #321/38, #322/38, & #394/38, GR0589, Archives of Manitoba.

Legislative Council proclamation files (J 0369), Proclamation #3 - School District of McCarthy, GR5717, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 27 June 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.