Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


2017
Annual
General
Meeting


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural Museum (Austin, Municipality of North Norfolk)

Located on a 50-acre site three kilometers south of the junction of #1 and #34 highways, near the village of Austin in the Municipality of North Norfolk, the Manitoba Agricultural Museum features Canada’s largest collection of operating vintage farm machinery. Situated on a parcel of land donated in 1954 by local farmer Thomas J. Carrothers, the museum has grown to become a major tourist attraction in western Manitoba and is designated by the provincial government as one of its Signature Museums. The museum is the site of the Manitoba Amateur Radio Museum and the annual Manitoba Threshermen’s Reunion & Stampede.

The museum participated in the Manitoba Prairie Icons Program.

Another feature of the museum is its Homesteaders Village, a collection of over twenty original and replica buildings situated along a portion of the old Fort Ellice Trail. Intended to illustrate the pioneer experience in Manitoba, the village includes the following buildings:

Building

Description

More information*

Arizona United (Methodist) Church

This church served the community of Arizona from 1898 to 1974.

Link

Ayr School No. 150

This original log school building was used from 1883 to 1908.

Link

Centreville School No. 606

This wood-frame, one-room schoolhouse moved to the museum in 1960.

Link

Austin Grain Elevator

This structure, a municipally-designated historic site, was built at Austin in 1905 for the Western Canada Flour Company.

Link

Mekiwin Manor

This residence was built in 1918 by the Hutchison family south of Gladstone.

Link

Muir Cabin

The oldest structure in the village, dating from 1879, this log structure was moved to the site from its original location southeast of MacGregor.

 

Muirhead Cabin

This log structure was built of squared poplar logs near Carberry in the 1880s by the Muirhead family.

 

Baldur Train Station

This building was moved to the village in 1975.

Link

St. Saviour’s Anglican Church

This church was moved here from its original site west of Minnedosa.

Link

MacGregor Railway Water Tower

This 1900 structure, a municipally-designated historic site, is similar to the former Glenboro Railway Water Tower and the Clearwater Water Tower. It was moved to the museum in 1987.

Link

Westbourne Post Office

This building was originally built at Westbourne in 1902. It was moved to the museum in 1972.

Link

Katrime Freight and Passenger Shelter

This small railway building was constructed at the community of Katrime in 1919. After it was no longer used by the railway, it was moved to a farm near MacGregor. It was moved to the museum in 2002.

Link

Carrothers House

This building was the former residence of museum founder Thomas J. Carrothers.

Link

CPR Toolshed

This simple railway maintenance building, once located at Austin, was moved to the museum in 1995.

Link

* These links refer to pages at the website of the Manitoba Agricultural Museum.

Photos & Maps

Manitoba Agricultural Museum

Manitoba Agricultural Museum (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Centreville School

The former Centreville School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1311.

Steam locomotive on display

Steam locomotive on display (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Sheds with threshing machines

Sheds with threshing machines (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Pioneer log cabin

Pioneer log cabin (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Homesteaders village

Homesteaders village (2003)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.92428, W98.94632
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Ellice Trail Crossing (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pembina Threshermen’s Museum (RM of Stanley)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project

Sources:

Manitoba Agricultural Museum

We thank Georgette Hutlet (Chief Museum Officer, Manitoba Agricultural Museum) for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 April 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.