Historic Sites of Manitoba: Centreville School No. 606 (RM of Victoria)
The Centreville School District was established formally in May 1889 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the southeast quarter of 6-8-10 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Muncipality of Victoria. Its name was based on its location mid-way between Treherne and Holland. A building was constructed the next year, at a cost of $600, on an acre of land leased from local farmer Frank Seibert. The school closed in January 1959 and the students were bused to Treherne Consolidated School No. 537 or Holland Consolidated School No. 393.
In March 1960, the Centreville School building was moved to the Manitoba Agricultural Museum, along with a plaque commemorating students on Centreville School who were killed during the First World War, and school registers for several years. In 1995, a monument at its former site was dedicated to the pioneers, school trustees, teachers, and students of the district.
Among the teachers of Centreville School were Susie Hall (1895), Frank Mayers (1895), John Burns (1898), Muriel Frame (1903), Agnes Jamieson (1905), Hanna Staples (1906), Isabelle A. Lane (1906-1907), A. L. Mooney (1907), Mabel M. McCreary (1908-1909), Elmah J. Staples (1910), M. C. Carrothers (1912-1913), L. Luella Staples (1914), Rita L. McBratney (1915), Mary E. Wright (1916-1917), Marjorie Charters (1918), M. Melissa Lee (1918-1919), Magdalene M. Straube (1921-1925), Harriett Scarlett (1940-1942), Doreen Watson (1948-1949), Fay A. Dixon (1950-1952), Gwenda Higgs (1952-1953), Susan McKee (1954), Adele Znamirowsky (1954-1955), and Doris G. Atkinson (1958).
First World War Casualities
Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 44-46.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Agricultural Museum: 25 Years of Progress by Penny Ham, 1981, pages 117-121.
School registers [Centreville School No. 606], Manitoba Agricultural Museum.
Page revised: 19 January 2020
Back to top of page