An octagonal water tower in Clearwater, in the Municipality of Louise, is a provincially-designated historic site. Built by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1910, its cedar-covered steel tank has a capacity of 181,840 liters (40,000 gallons) of water. A coal-powered boiler under the tank kept the water from freezing during cold weather. A ball above the tank indicates the water level inside.
The tower became obsolete when, in 1957, the railway converted to diesel power and no longer needed large volumes of water for steam-powered locomotives. It still provides water for the use of local residents.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.13226, W99.03713
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenboro Railway Water Tower (Railway Avenue, Glenboro, Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural Museum (Austin, Municipality of North Norfolk)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Clearwater Canadian Pacific Railway Water Tower, Manitoba Water Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!