Manitoba Historical Society
Search
MHS website:
 


Past Lane
News


Upcoming
Events


LG Award
Nominations


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Manitoba
History

No. 76


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba


Questions on
Manitoba
History

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arizona School No. 478 (RM of North Norfolk)

Named for the American state of Arizona, the school district in the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk was formally established in September 1886 but its first school building was not completed until two years later, on the southwest quarter of 16-10-12, with Miss Sadie Wright of Carberry as the first teacher. The original log building was replaced by a red brick structure in 1921. It was replaced with the building from Linwood School in 1963. With school consolidation in the mid-1960s, Arizona School closed in January 1968 and its students were bused to schools in Austin or MacGregor. The former school building was renovated as a private residence.

A marker, dedicated at a ceremony on 2 August 1998 to the pioneers, teachers and students of the Arizona district, sits beside the Arizona Community Hall, built in 1901. The building for Arizona (Methodist) United Church was moved to the Manitoba Agricultural Museum in 1974.

The teachers who worked at Arizona School included: Sarah Wright (1888), Miss Eliott, M. B. O’Dell (1889), Miss McLellan (1891), Caroline Sparling, Maggie Vanalstein (1893), Anna Stuart (1894), Clara M. Buist (1895), Margaret E. Macdonald (1896), Maude Mawhinney (1896), Emma M. Carr (1897), Fanny B. Thompson (1898), Gertrude MacMillan (1899-1900), Frances C. Lander (1899), Clara M. Bemister (1900-1901), E. S. Smith (1901), Maude Napper (1901), Agnes Ainslee (1901), Ida Watts (1902), Miss S. Augusta (1903), Mr. I. C. O. Sullivan (1904), Miss L. L. Ferguson (1904), Clara Langton (1904-1905), Bessie M. Ross (1906), Audrey Young (1906), Elizabeth Little (1907), Clara McMaster (1908), Jane R. Latimer (1908-1909), Pearl Winteringham (1909), Florence Keeping (1909), Rosa E. Black (1910), Edna Younghusband (1910), Mona I. Morrow (1911-1912), Laura A. Kellet (1913-1914), Ida McLean (1914-1915), Vera May Babb (1916), Kathleen S. Burke (1917), Myrtle May Wark (1917), Miss V. Jonatanson (1917), Olive P. Swanton (1918), Miss A. B. Campbell (1918), Marjorie E. Snyder (1919), Laura M. Blanks (1920), Annie R. Mitchell (1920), Margaret Bradley (1921-1922), C. Arminah Powell (1922-1923), Clara Beswitherick (1923-1924), Vera Robinson Pratt (1924-1925), Florence D. MacKay (1925-1926), Lydia Peters (1927), Marjory E. Dupuis (1927-1928), Tranna Calvert Sidney (1928-1930), Ailsa Margaret Little (1930-1931), Jean Lane (1931-1933), Verna Margaret Lundy (1933-1935), Jean Olive Goulding (1935-1938), Irene Blanche Towle (1938-1940), Mae Amelia Carritt (1940-1941), Ruby Louise Steen (1941-1942), Lorna May Tapp (1942-1944), Isobel Alanna Mayers (1944-1945), Sophie Violet Dawshka (1945-1946), Kenneth M. White (1946-1947), Mrs. Bertha Evelyn Gibson (1947), Edith Victoria Peck (1947-1948), Norine Wilma Jones (1948-1949), Florence Lillian Sims (1949-1950), Edna Irene Wardell (1950-1951), Mrs. Eva M. Moffatt (1951-1952), Edna Irene Wardell (1952-1953), Mary Wiebe (1953-1955), Mrs. Marguerite A. Willis (1955-1958), Mrs. Eva Moffatt (1958-1961), Shirley Moore (1961-1963), Eileen J. Mote (1963), Mrs. R. D. Peck (1964-1965), Mrs. Carol Kilfoyle (1966-1967).

Arizona School

Arizona School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.82833, W99.02999
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

A Rear View Mirror: A History of the Austin and Surrounding Districts by Anne M. Collier, Altona: Friesen Printing, 1967.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Arizona, 1881-1982 [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A77 Ari]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 694.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 September 2014

Historical Sites of Manitoba

A collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Please note that some sites in this collection are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service but may be used only for non-commercial purposes. Permission to use the information for any other purpose must be requested from the MHS Webmaster.

Search the collection by word or place name, type of site, or other text:

Custom Search

Browse indexes relating to:
Featured sites | Museums and Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Miscellaneous | Unknowns


Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca

Interactive Map | Suggest a site | Questions | Sites Wanted | Acknowledgements

Support the MHS and

Back to top of page

   
 

 
To report an error on the above page,
please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home | Terms & Conditions | FAQ | Contact Us
Privacy Policy | Donations Policy
Website © 1998-2014 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.