Historic Sites of Manitoba: Louise Bridge Methodist Church / Gordon Methodist Church (Nairn Avenue, Winnipeg)
Beginning around 1896, Methodists living in the vicinity of the the Louise Bridge held services in the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Woodrow on Newton Avenue (now William Newton Avenue), with congregants including Charles Midwinter and George Hoyes. The services were led by theology students from Wesley College or by circuit ministers. By 1898, a site for a church on Nairn Avenue, adjacent to the later-built Canadian Bank of Commerce Building, was purchased for $75. Established as a Methodist Mission of the Zion Church, a small wooden frame building was erected and was named Louise Bridge Methodist Church. In late 1906, the congregation renamed it Gordon Methodist Church in commemoration of their former cleric Andrew Gordon. Within a year, they had outgrown the building and decided to move to a new site on Poplar Avenue. By September 1907, the structure was cut in half so it could be moved.
Photos & Coordinates
“City and general,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 29 June 1897, page 8.
“Sunday services [Louise Bridge Church],” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 17 September 1898, page 3.
“At Louise Bridge Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 September 1903, page 3.
“Building notes,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 September 1907, page 19.
“Church opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 December 1907, page 4.
“Gordon Church needs bigger building now,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 August 1914, page 12.
“Methodists of Gordon Church hold jubilee,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1921, page 32.
“Gordon United Church marks 43rd birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1939, page 17.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 14 May 2021