Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elmwood Presbyterian Church / King Memorial Presbyterian Church / King Memorial United Church / Gordon-King Memorial United Church (127 Cobourg Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This Winnipeg church began as the Elmwood Mission which gathered at Martin School in November 1903 under the leadership of Professor Kilpatrick. The Elmwood Presbyterian Church (EPC) formed on 16 March 1904 with 19 charter members with Reverend Daniel Norman McLachlan (first appointed as a missionary) formally assuming Pastor duties in October 1904. Arising from the need for greater capacity, scouting began for a new church building, and a new site was established on the west side of Kelvin Road (now Henderson Highway), just north of Riverton Avenue. A wooden frame structure was erected there in 1904 and expanded in 1907. That site was was too outgrown by 1913, when the congregation acquired the property at this Cobough Avenue site. The present structures stone basement, with seating for 700, was completed with a dedication event on 18 May 1913. Its name changed from EPC to the King Memorial Presbyterian Church (shortened to King Memorial Church) that same year, in commemoration of the late Reverend John Mark King. In 1914, an $8,500 pipe organ installed. During the First World War, of the 273 congregants who served during overseas, 33 were killed.

The congregation worshiped in a covered basement for 14 years while building the necessary monetary reserves to complete their envisioned structure. Efforts began early in 1927 on the surface-elevation present structure, with a cornerstone-laying ceremony occuring on 9 April 1927. The church was opened and dedicated by the congregations former Reverend McLachlan on 2 October 1927. With seating for 550 on the main floor and a further 200 in the gallery, the east and west wings were designed to allow a main sanctuary capacity increase to 1,000. Then finished, the structure contained 25 classrooms for Sunday School use. The total cost for the building was some $100,000, including around $66,000 for the new edifice. The name was later changed to King Memorial United Church. Following a decision in March 1967, Winnipeg Presbytery approved the merger of the King Memorial United Church and Gordon United Church (commemorating cleric Andrew Gordon). After amalgamating in April 1967, this site renaming again to the Gordon-King Memorial United Church.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1903-1904

Professor Kilpatrick

1904-1920

Daniel Norman McLachlan (c1875-1943)

1920

Hugh John Robertson (1868-1952) (acting)

1920-1929

Edwin Gardiner Dunn Freeman (c1890-1973)

1930-1942

David Gavin Paton (1892-1990)

1942-1947

Rev. William G. Berry

1947-1950

Rev. Harry S. Dodgson

1951-?

Rev. H. G. Tolton

?-1967

1967-?

Rev. W. N. Higham

Photos & Maps

Gordon-King Memorial United Church

Gordon-King Memorial United Church (May 2017)
Source: George Penner

Gordon-King Memorial United Church

Interior of Gordon-King Memorial United Church (May 2017)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91553, W97.11598
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Andrew Gordon (1830-1922)

Memorable Manitobans: John Mark King (1829-1899)

Sources:

“Ladies' Aid will be at home,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 January 1904, page 3.

“Sunday services in Winnipeg churches [Elmwood Mission],” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 July 1904, page 3.

“Elmwood,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 18 January 1905, page 15.

“Site for church secured,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 February 1911, page 5.

“King Memorial Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 May 1913, page 12.

“Rev M'Laughlan back to city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 July 1914, page 25.

“Rev M'Laughlan will come back,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 June 1914, page 25.

“M'Lachlan praised for work as Pastor,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 June 1920, page 3.

“Rev. Freeman, Toronto, called as Pastor of King Memorial Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 September 1920, page 13.

“Board will consider building new church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 November 1926, page 18.

“King Memorial plans for new church edifice,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 February 1927, page 14.

“King Memorial corner stone will be laid,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 April 1927, page 2.

“Church to buy $8,500 organ,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 April 1927, page 6.

“King Memorial Church edifice is complete,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 September 1927, page 18.

“New Elmwood Church,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 October 1927, page 20.

“King Memorial Church to hold dedication meet,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 October 1927, page 10.

“King Memorial will celebrate 32nd birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 October 1936, page 15.

“King Memorial congregation to celebrate,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 October 1934, page 6.

“36th anniversary,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 October 1940, page 8.

“King Memorial induction Thursday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 November 1942, page 13.

“King Memorial United,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 January 1943, page 5.

“Farewell services at King Memorial,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 June 1947, page 10.

“Rev. H.S.Dodgson to succeed Berry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 June 1947, page 10.

“Rev. H.S. Dodgson,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 December 1950, page 8.

“Pastor expected at King Memorial by June 1,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 March 1951, page 17.

“King Memorial United Church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 October 1954, page 31.

“Rev. H. Dodgson Still at Knox,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 July 1962, page 39.

“Gordon-King Memorial holds first service,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 April 1967, page 30.

This page was prepared by George Penner, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 October 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.