Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gordon Methodist Church / Gordon United Church (211 Poplar Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

To keep pace with the congregation’s rapid growth, the recently renamed Gordon Methodist Church building was cut in half and relocated to this site in 1907. Extended to 18 feet, and with addition of a gallery, seating capacity was brought to 240. The $2,000 project work itself was handled by contractor P. Vermilyen based on designs of Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. The newly renovated structure was opened on 1 December 1907, with Reverend Andrew Gordon in attendance. In 1911, a $3,800 parsonage was erected next door at 201 Poplar Avenue. With the grounds cleared, excavation for the residence’s basement began by August 1911. The two and a half storey cottage-roof residence, measuring 24 feet by 32 feet, cost $3,800 and was completed in 1912.

As the congregation continued to grow, expansion plans were announced in 1914. Fundraising efforts began, though the First World War and fiscally hard times delayed the anticipated building by several years. By August 1920, with $10,000 raised by subscription, work commenced on the structure. The building was lifted from its foundation and an array of changes were made to the basement. The partial basement was expanded to a full basement, along with three new classrooms, a kitchen, and an auditorium were added. A new steam heating system and plumbing were also installed. The full project would end up costing around $12,000.

A dedication ceremony on 9 November 1947 marked the opening of a Memorial Tower added to the southwest corner of the building. Remodelling and re-dedicaton occurred on 1 May 1949.

Following a decision in March 1967, Winnipeg Presbytery approved the merging of the King Memorial United Church and Gordon United Church. Following amalgamation in April 1967, both congregations united as the Gordon-King Memorial United Church. This structure was redeveloped into a six-suite residential building and the parsonage was converted into a private residence.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

pre-1907

see Louise Bridge Methodist Church (1871-1924)

1907-1911

Rupert Otto Armstrong (1871-1924)

1911-1912

Rev. George F. McCullagh

1912-1914

Rev. Dr. W. R. Hughes

1914-1917

John William Ridd (1865-1955)

1917-1922

Rev. Philip Barker

1922-1924

Samuel “Sam” Wilkinson (1865-1941)

1924-1927

Arthur Robert Maunders (1877-1941)

1927-1938

William Henry Clarence Leech (1874-1938)

?-1939

Rev. R. G. Thompson

1939-1941

Rev. J. D. McKenzie

1941-1944

John Allan Doyle (1871-1953)

1944-1949

Rev. D. R. Patterson

1949-?

Rev. D. A. MacLean

?-1967

?

Photos & Maps

Gordon Methodist Church

Gordon Methodist Church (circa 1914)
Source: “Elmwood's pioneer church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 August 1914, page 21.

Gordon Methodist Church

Gordon Methodist Church (1921)
Source: “Gordon Methodist Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1921, page 32.

The former Gordon Methodist Church building

The former Gordon Methodist Church building (July 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

The former Gordon Methodist Church building

The former Gordon Methodist Church building (October 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91286, W97.11202
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Mark King (1829-1899)

Sources:

“City and general,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 29 June 1897, page 8.

“Sunday services [Louise Bridge Church],” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 17 September 1898, page 3.

“At Louise Bridge Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 September 1903, page 3.

“Building notes,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 September 1907, page 19.

“Church opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 December 1907, page 4.

“Gordon Methodist,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 November 1908, page 5.

“Farewell sermon,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 July 1911, page 5.

“Build new parsonage,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 July 1911, page 5.

“Local notes [The Gordon Methodist Church],” Manitoba Free Press, 28 July 1911, page 3.

“Building permits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 August 1911, page 2.

“Elmwood contract let,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 August 1911, page 5.

“A call to serve,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 August 1914, page 12.

“Gordon Church needs bigger building now,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 August 1914, page 12.

“To raise money for new ‘Gordon’,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1914, page 19.

“Changes to cost church $10,000 begin,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 August 1920, page 21.

“Gordon Methodists subscribe $10,400,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 December 1920, page 23.

“Methodists of Gordon Church hold jubilee,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1921, page 32.

“Accepts call to Stonewall Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 January 1922, page 27.

“News of the suburbs [Elmwood, Gordon Methodist Church],” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 September 1922, page 6.

“Reception for pastor,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 September 1924, page 9.

“Gordon United marks 42nd birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 October 1938, page 15.

“Gordon United Church marks 43rd birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1939, page 17.

“Dr. Doyle for Gordon United,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 May 1941, page 4.

“Gordon United congregation to celebrate,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 October 1941, page 18.

“Glenboro calls Rev W. R. Donogh,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 May 1944, page 9.

“To dedicate tower,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 November 1947, page 8.

“Gordon United Church receives rededication,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 May 1949, page 7.

“Once Winnipeg's smallest church, it's still the most brotherly,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 October 1959, page 22.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 14 October 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.