Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clegg School No. 109 (RM of Thompson)
The Clegg School District was established formally in December 1880 and a one-room schoolhouse was built at SE17-4-5W in the Rural Municipality of Thompson, on the homestead of settler William Clegg. In 1893, the building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Its replacement operated until 1956 when a new building was constructed. The school closed in 1964 and the district was dissolved two years later, with its catchment area added to Miami Consolidated School District and Morden Consolidated School District. The former school building was sold at auction but a metal sign commemorates it at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Clegg School in the early years were Florence Augusta Harvie (1881-1883, 1885-1890), F. S. Chapman (1883), Frank Fraser (1883), Annie McLennan (1884), Mary Brommell (1888), Leonard Wilson (1890-1892), D. A. Stewart (1893), Henry Johnston (1894-1899), Minnie Henderson (1905-1906), Annie B. Couch (1906-1907), Jessamine Carey (1908), Agnes M. Brown (1908-1909), M. Ella DeMills (1909-1910), Annie Milton (1911), Lydia Froggatt (1912), May Anderson (1913), Janet Merile Falconer (1913-1915), M. Gutzke (1915-1916), K. Mary Mattheson (1916-1917), Marie Davy (1917-1919), Bertha A. Street (1919), Muriel McDonald (1920), and Lillian Davis (1920).
Miami East topographic map, 62G/8 East, Edition 1, 1960, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Miami & R. M. of Thompson Chronicles by Thompson History Book Committee, c1998. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.M50Mia]
We thank Art Peers and David Falconer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 April 2019
Back to top of page