Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
The Lenore School District was established in January 1891 and it operated a one-room schoolhouse at SE4-12-25W, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, until 1907 when its students moved to a two-storey, brick-veneer structure containing four classrooms. The former Lenore schoolhouse was moved to a farm at SE9-12-25W and used as a granary. As of 1980, it was still there. The school became an early participant in the consolidation movement of the early 20th century when, in 1914, it joined with Kinsmore School No. 371 (which operated at SE28-12-24W) to become Lenore Consolidated School No. 1758.
In time, other schools from the surrounding countryside would close and send their students to Lenore. They included Breadalbane School No. 361, Erroll School No. 693, and Ravine School No. 932. In October 1971, Lenore Consolidated became part of Fort La Bosse School Division No. 41. The school closed in June 1979 due to low student enrollment and the building was demolished around 1986. A commemorative stone monument with the former school bell was unveiled on 12 July 2003.
H. P. McPhail
Walter Gard Jose (1878-1948)
Margaret C. Reynolds
Maggie R. Stuart
George William Holmes
Florence M. Rawson
William Ambrose Evans (c1884-1954)
Sidney Irvine Mott (1871-?)
James Edwards (1892-1967)
Lewis Emmett Lynd (1876-1961)
Edward Eldjarn Johnson (1900-1978)
Joseph William Butcher (1906-1997)
Donald Roderick “Don” McLennan (1910-1990)
Clair Edmond Dawson (?-1995)
John Gilbank Anderson (1912-2003)
Frank Cecil Jacobs (1914-2002)
J. C. Campeau
Mrs. Eileen Grant
Among the teachers of Lenore School were Stan Dunlop, Miss Leila M. Higgenbotham, Miss Alice Riddell, Miss Ellen "Nellie" Meakin, William H. Grives, Miss Mabel Sproat, Minnie Schooley, Miss Myrtle Blough, Miss Alva Walker, Harriette McCormack, Miss Rossen, Miss K. Prowse, Miss Reta Babb, Miss Janet Wallace, Miss Phoebe Anderson, Miss Clara A. Grant, Miss Emily H. Monk, Miss Grace I. Frame, Miss Ethel I. McLean, Miss Kathleen Kelly, Miss Viola S. Hill, Miss Ruby Young, Mrs. J. Kathleen Levans, Miss A. Helena Mann, Miss Edna L. Chalmers, Mrs. Edith S. Edwards, Walter G. Crane, Charles M. Belton, Miss Thelma E. Thornton, Miss Margaret E. King, Miss Florence E. Deacon, Miss Eileen M. Whyte, Miss Betty O. White, Miss Florence L. Baker, Miss Beatrice M. Allen, Miss E. Faye Francis, Miss Donna G. Douglas, Miss Anna B. Chambers, Aubrey Bray, Miss Edith E. K. Weber, Miss Ina G. Smith, Miss Kay G. Rose, Miss K. Margaret Jacobs, Mrs. E. Grant, Miss Verna E. Spurr, Miss A. Doreen Baldwin, Miss Betty D. Amy, Miss Rosalie E. Orchard, Miss Muriel E. Horn, Ralph E. Mayes, Mrs. Anita R. Campeau, Miss Dorothy M. English, Sam Donen, Miss Janice L. Dobranski, Mrs. Jemima F. Webster, William "Bill" Chernoff, Miss Carol J. Ross, Miss Gloria J. Knight, Mrs. Irene H. Graham, Miss Beverly A. Freeborn, Miss Lois E. Watts, Miss Bette R. Barclay, Miss Laurel A. Hunter, Miss E. Lorraine Thompson, Miss Maxine E. Walker, Miss E. Louise Whitford, Charles T. Cresswell, Edith Good, Miss Sheila J. Brooks, Mrs. Helen B. Milne, Miss Irene M. Humphries, Miss Shirley A. Barr, Mrs. Marion Brown, Kay Lelond, Miss Marilyn A. Mack, Miss Brenda J. McDonald, Miss Diane E. Dalgarno, Miss Donna H. Dushinsky, Mrs. Margaret A. McGrath, Mrs. L. Margaret Bowles, Mrs. Mabel M. Ramsay, and Miss Lorene Chui.
Lenore School (circa 1907)
Source: Education Department Report, 1907, Manitoba Legislative Library.
The former Lenore School building before demolition, following removal of its brick veneer (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1515.
Lenore School commemorative monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95654, W100.74676
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Galt School No. 628 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Lenore and Districts Homecoming, 1906-1979, Lenore School Homecoming Committee, circa 1980. [Copy held by Ed Arndt]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Terry Good, Garry Draper, and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!