Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 85


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ravine School No. 932 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

In 1898, pioneers of this area met at the Penrith post office, located at SE28-12-25W from 1884 to 1913, to lay plans for a new school in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. A one-room frame schoolhouse, named for a nearby ravine, opened in 1900 on NE23-12-25W. In addition to meeting the educational needs of the community, it was also its social centre. In 1964, the school closed and was consolidated with Lenore School No. 1758. The former school building remains on the site and a cairn was erected on 29 July 1990 in commemoration of the pioneers, trustees, teachers, students, and residents of the area.

Among the teachers of Ravine School were Miss Sadie Scarth, Miss Helen Good, Miss Ella Scarth, Miss Isabelle Good, Mrs. Jefferson, Miss Joyce Dyer, Miss Maggie Elliott, Miss Anne Campbell, Miss Elizabeth McNab, Miss Byril Leach, Herman Warren, Miss Molly Cormack, Miss M. Hutton, Miss Annie M. Jones, Miss Ida Storey, Mrs. Ellen "Nellie" Grant, Miss Agnes Davidson, Miss Thelma Mitchell, Ernie Barnes, Miss Shirley Angus, Miss Janet Wallace, Miss Violet Hill, Miss Mundle, Mrs. Helen D. Bryan, Mrs. Olive E. Dibblee, Mrs. Florence Hill, Miss Constance Dryden, Miss Grace Frame, Miss A. P. Herkes, Miss Bernice R. Merceniec, Miss Barbara Power, Miss Elin De Roye, Miss Flora Good, Miss Lillian Lambert, Miss Marion Robertson, Miss Josephine Sinclair, Miss Elie C. Fleury, Miss Marjorie Manns, Edith May Good, Miss Margaret King, Miss Myrtle Smeltz, Mrs. Helen Jackson, Miss Florence Bardwell, and Mrs. Mary E. E. Cole.

Ravine School

Ravine School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 25.

Ravine School

The former Ravine School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1516.

Ravine School

The former Ravine School building (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ravine School

Interior of the former Ravine School building (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ravine School

Ravine School monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.03135, W100.78307
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Sandra Garvie and Garry Draper for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Garry Draper.

Page revised: 1 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.