Historic Sites of Manitoba: Erroll School No. 693 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
The Erroll School District, known originally as Lenore School District, was formally established in February 1892 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE4-12-25W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth, on land donated by William Henry Smith. In 1907, a one-room brick structure was built beside the original schoolhouse, which was then sold and moved to a farm one mile north. Renamed Erroll School (or, in some sources, Errol School) at that time, it operated until March 1964 when it was consolidated with Lenore Consolidated School No. 1758, by which time it had hosted some 225 students and 44 teachers. The building was demolished in 1986. It is commemorated by a fieldstone monument erected in August 1987.
The teachers of Erroll School were Lizzie Cousins (1907), Edna Warren (1912-1913), A. [C.?] H. Beech (1914), Alice I. Good (1915-1916), Florence Miller (1917), Gladys Thompson (1917), H. H. McKeen (1918-1919), Jean D. “Jennie” McMaster (1920), Marjorie Leask (1921), Warren Williams (1921), Grace Good Dryden (1921-1923), Frances Muriel Wilman (1932-1937), Isabella M. Dryden (1937-1941), Irene Elizabeth Brown (1941-1943), Helen Patricia Jackson (1943-1944), Margaret Eliza Lloyd (1944-1945), Mellissa Dorothy Baillie (1945), Patricia Anne “Pat” Naylen (1945-1946), Ethel Mavis Fry (1946-1947), Marjorie Ann McPhedran (1947-1948), Erna [Erma?] Barbara Coates (1948-1949), Otto Abraham Perlett (1949-1951), Margaret Winifred Chegevin [Chewgin?] (1951-1952), Rose Berezowecki (1952-1953), Flora C. Ashcroft (1953-1955), Margaret Rose Marie Szwaluk (1955-1956), Joyce Agnes Wilkinson (1956-1958), Audrey E. Trollope (1958-1959), Beatrice Paterson (1959-1960), Edwin Michael Fedak (1960-1962), Susan Pauline Pothorin (1962-1964), Murray Sangster (1964?), H. McBennett, Miss Sarah Good, Miss Isabelle Good, Miss Myrtle Walks, Miss Moore, Miss Edna Frame, Mrs. Bailey, Miss Margaret Gee, Miss Edwards, Miss Helen Good, Lucy Sandall, Marguirite Abblett, Miss Violet Wilson, and Florence Nelson.
Local lore in the Rural Municipality of Brenda holds that an Errol School also once operated at SE4-4-25W.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, page 104.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Erroll School District No. 693 Daily Registers, GR0466, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 7 January 2018
Back to top of page