Historic Sites of Manitoba: Killarney School No. 252 (Killarney, RM of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
The first school in the vicinity of the Town of Killarney was erected around 1884, on the road south to Lena and the US border. A two-storey, four-classroom brick and stone school was erected in town between Fall 1905 and early 1906, based on a design by Winnipeg architect J. H. G. Russell. Construction was supervised by stonemason Samuel Hossack (1832-1913).
As one-room schools in the surrounding area closed during the 1960s, their students came to Killarney School. Among them were Lyonshall School No. 223, Wakopa School No. 308, West Lake School No. 311, Oak Ridge School No. 328, Northcote School No. 396, Fairfield School No. 418, Glendenning School No. 552, Jaques School No. 605, Hullett School No. 700, Long River School No. 720, and Lake Lorne School No. 1105. The Killarney schools were eventually closed and demolished, and the site is now a public green space.
Principals (High School)
Vice-Principals (High School)
Among the other teachers at Killarney School were Ethel Kinley, T. Albert Scholes, Mr. Watson, Rufus Earle, D. H. Hartley, Mr. Finkbiener, Miss Jennie Sharman, Miss Dowler, Miss MacGregor, Miss Hopwood, Miss Parker, Annie Eccles Kent, Arthur F. Kerr, Bill Welsh, and Lois M. Falloon.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Killarney Memories by J. C. Treleaven, Manitoba Pageant, Volume 23, Number 3, Spring 1978.
“Killarney, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
More Reflections: R.M. of Turtle Mountain, Town of Killarney, 1982-2007, page 40.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 April 2018
Back to top of page