Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elphinstone School No. 196 (Elphinstone, RM of Yellowhead)
Two former school buildings in Elphinstone, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Yellowhead, date from different times. The older building, erected in 1928, was later used as a church. The newer school building beside it, erected in 1960, was vacant, having closed in 1994. Both buildings were in poor condition at the site of a 2020 site visit.
Among the teachers who worked at Elphinstone School through the years were Raoul McKay and Helen Margaret Murchie Dickie.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Obituary [Helen Margaret Dickie], Shoal Lake Star, 18 May 1993, page 11.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 September 2020