Historic Sites of Manitoba: Garden Valley Collegiate Institute (736 Main Street, Winkler)
Established in Winkler, within the Garden Valley School Division, the Garden Valley Collegiate Institute (GVCI; the word Institute was later removed from its name) was formed by the amalgamation of the Plum Coulee Collegiate and Winkler Collegiate on 1 September 1966. Construction of this facility began with a sod-turning ceremony on 19 August 1966. The structure was based on architectural designs of Norman E. Reimer and was opened to students on 1 September 1967, with an official unveiling ceremony on 10 December 1967.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“School bylaw defeated,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 June 1965, page 22.
“Tender notice,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 June 1966, page 26.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Winkler School No. 747 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Winkler School (Special Education) No. 747 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
A History of Winkler, 1892-1973, by Frank Brown, 1973.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 11 February 2019