Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 17 / Fire Hall No. 12 (1710 Grosvenor, Winnipeg)

Located at the southwest corner of Renfrew Street and Haskins Avenue (renamed Grosvenor), this Winnipeg structure was opened in 1957 as Fire Hall No. 17 and was staffed by around 18 firefighters. With the amalgamation of Unicity-area Fire Departments in January 1974, the Hall was re-designated as Fire Hall No. 12, acquiring the number from the nearby Fire Hall No. 12 which closed two years earlier. The No. 17 designation was transferred to the Winnipeg Fire Department facility at 1501 Church Avenue, formerly indexed as Fire Hall No. 6. This facility closed in 2012 and its number was carried over to the new Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Station No. 12 at 1780 Taylor Avenue. In 2015, the site was sold to the Rady Jewish Community Centre for $410,000 and, following renovations, was officially opened in July 2016 as the David and Ruth Asper Early Learning Centre.

The former Fire Hall No. 12

The former Fire Hall No. 12 (June 2019)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.86700, W97.19653
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 1 / Central Fire Hall (110 Albert Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 2 / South Fire Hall (Smith Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Fighters Museum of Winnipeg / Fire Hall No. 3 (56 Maple Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 4 (470 Gertrude Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 5 (354 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 7 (349 Burrows Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 8 (325 Talbot Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 9 (1466 William Avenue West, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 10 (845 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 11 (180 Sinclair Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 12 (1055 Dorchester Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 13 (410 Cathedral Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 14 (161 Lipton Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 15 (524 Osborne Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Boniface Fire Hall (212 rue Dumoulin, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Fire Hall (200 Berry Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Vital Museum / St. Vital Fire Hall (600 St. Mary’s Road, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Municipal Office and Fire Hall (Victoria Avenue West, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fire Hall No. 25 (701 Day Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Public Safety Building / Fire Hall No. 21 / Police Station No. 4 (730 Pandora Avenue West, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Boniface Fire Hall No. 2 / Police Station (328 Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Firemen reject proposal,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 March 1956, page 19.

“Anti-polio drive to begin Monday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 April 1962, page 3.

“City of Winnipeg - tenders for supply [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 April 1966, page 69.

“New targets set for Fire, Welfare unification,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 July 1973, page 3.

“New City’s second year brings more growth pains,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1974, page 3.

“Shewan says Fire Dept. merger is working well,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 March 1974, page 3.

“200 more firemen needed: Melnyk,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1974, page 88.

“Four new city fire halls on tap,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 April 2009, page B3.

Questions arise over old fire hall put up for lease,” CBC, 23 August 2012.

“Browaty won't back land swap,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 September 2012, page 3.

City committee votes to spike land swap for Taylor Avenue fire hall that sits of private Shindico land,” Winnipeg Sun, 7 November 2012.

City of Winnipeg moves to expropriate fire hall land on Taylor,” CBC 14 February 2014.

“Two fire-hall swap properties sold,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 February 2014, page B3.

“Ex-fire hall gets new life as daycare,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 October 2015, page B2.

Grosvenor fire hall new home to 48 daycare spots,” Winnipeg Sun, 9 October 2015.

“Rady JCC opens new David and Ruth Asper Early Learning Centre - mazel tov!” Winnipeg Jewish Review, 27 September 2016.

We Hold Thee Safe by Halldor Kenneth Bjarnason, 2004.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 9 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.