Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eriksdale School No. 1571 (Eriksdale, Municipality of West Interlake)
The Eriksdale School District was organized in August 1911 and it operated a school in Eriksdale in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. The original built was replaced in 1917 and, in 1929, a third classroom for high school students was added to the existing two rooms. In 1958, a new six-classroom building replaced the old structure, which was dismantled with the lumber used to construct a teacherage.
The Eriksdale Collegiate was built in 1961 and the six-room building was used for elementary classes. An addition was made to the collegiate in March 1976.
The school became part of the Lakeshore School Division in 1967.
Among the other teachers at Eriksdale School were Katherine Weber, D. Ruth Matheson, Earl D. McKellar, Emma Sigurdson (1930s), Margaret Dorothy Florence Bottrell, Hildur Emily Sandberg, Phyllis Lamb (1963-1964), Emma Mills (1964-1965), and Benno Richard Klaassen (c1974).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Eriksdale East topographic map, 62J/16 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, pages 63-64.
Obituary [Margaret Dorothy Florence Bottrell], Winnipeg Free Press, 17 April 2019.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 January 2021