Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Kildonan Municipal Hall / East Kildonan City Hall / East Kildonan - Transcona Community Office (755 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)
Built by the Rural Municipality of East Kildonan in 1951 to replaced the former East Kildonan Municipal Office, the two-storey brick and stucco structure was based on designs by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Green Blankstein Russell & Associates. A cornerstone laying ceremony was held in May 1951 and the official opening occurred on 3 November 1953, attended by local officials as well as Premier D. L. Campbell and the Minister of Municipal Affairs. The building contained council chambers and offices for the Kildonan St. Paul Health Unit, local police service, and school board, and a community hall. Following the formation of Unicity, it served as the City of Winnipeg East Kildonan - Transcona Community Office as well as the Good Neighbours Senior Centre (1994-2009).
Sold in 2009, the building was demolished in 2011. The site lay vacant until summer 2014 when construction began on the Henderson Business Centre. It was completed in the fall of 2015.
The East Kildonan War Memorial was formerly located at the northwest corner of Henderson Highway and Helmsdale Avenue. It was later relocated to the grounds of East Kildonan’s Centennial Park.
“Corner Stone of Municipal Hall to be placed Friday,” [unlisted newspaper clipping], [May 1951].
“New Municipal Hall to be opened soon,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 October 1953, page 3.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 December 2015
Back to top of page