Historic Sites of Manitoba: East Kildonan War Memorial (802 Raleigh Street, Winnipeg)
The East Kildonan War Memorial was originally dedicated on 25 October 1953 and located on the grounds of the East Kildonan Municipal Office at the southeast corner of Henderson Highway at Helmsdale Avenue. Erected by the Prince Edward Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion, it honours those who died in service of Canada during the First World War, Second World War, and Korean War. When the Municipal Office was sold in 2009 (and later demolished), the monument was carefully dissembled, relocated, and rebuilt at this site in East Kildonan’s Centennial Park, at a cost of some $65,000.
The Centennial Park was a popular picnic spot in the 1930s. Landscaping and irrigation improvements were undertaken in 1967, at a cost of $50,000, as a highlight of the municipality’s projects to honour the Canadian Centennial. It contained a memorial gazebo in tribute to Margaret Laidlaw Hood, erected in 1968 at a cost of $4,000, on a design by the Winnipeg landscape architectural firm of Man Taylor Muret. The gazebo was badly vandalized in October 1968. It has since been demolished.
“Work on East Kildonan Cenotaph almost complete,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1954, page 3.
“Centennial year plans hammered out at meet,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 November 1966, page 7.
“Tenders for construction of landscape and irrigation improvements in the East Kildonan Centennial Park,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 February 1967, page 27.
“Tenders for construction of Margaret Hood Memorial Gazebo,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 July 1968, page 25.
We thank June Sanderson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 December 2015
Back to top of page