Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dufferin School No. 82 (RM of Montcalm)

The Dufferin School District was organized formally in January 1880 and, until 1909, a wood frame school building operated one mile north and a quarter mile north of this site in the Rural Municipality of Montcalm, on River Lot 53. The building was moved here, to the southeast corner of SW23-1-2E, in 1909 where it continued operation until closing in 1947. The remaining students went to Emerson Consolidated School No. 2365, and the district was dissolved in 1959. The building is no longer present at the site but a metal sign commemorates it.

Among the teachers at Dufferin School were F. Robertson (1906), Annie M. Biggs (1907, Lillie A. Winram (1907), Sarah F. Stanton (1908), E. May Fraser (1908), ? (1909-1910), Isabel Cranley [Crauley?] (1911-1912), ? (1912-1913), Mary A. Rose (1913-1914), Elizabeth E. Fahey (1914-1915), Mary S. Law (1915), Mary E. MacGregor (1916), Alice M. Pieper (1917), Marjory E. Dupuis (1917-1918), Josephine E. A. Paterson (1918-1919, 1920-1921), Georgina E. McKay (1919-1920), Verna M. Glover (1921-1923), Elizabeth Elkin (1923-1924, 1927-1930), Hilda Mills (1924-1925), Effie E. Dowler (1925-1927), Gladys Malcolm Smith (1930-1933), Lillian Caroline C. Steeves (1933-1935), Grace Louise Stevenson (1935-1938), Velma Jane Turner (1938-1939), Edith Jane McArthur (1939-1940), ? (1940-1941), Lillian Chisholm (1941), Anne Marguerite Thorpe (1942), Lillian Ratschinsky (1942-1943), Eleanor Thick (1943-1946), and Anna Elizabeth Lockerby (1946-1947).

Dufferin School

Dufferin School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 23.

Dufferin School commemorative sign

Dufferin School commemorative sign (February 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.04500, W97.22446
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dufferin School (Logan Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dufferin School District #82 - Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Dufferin School District #82 - Minute Book, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Wayne Arseny for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 4 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.