Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carman Land Titles Building (Second Street SW, Carman)

This two-storey brick building in the Town of Carman was the site of the provincial Land Titles Office. Purchased by the government sometime before 1906, and renovated at a cost of some $10,000, it had offices and a vault on the main floor with a large room used for County Court sittings on the second floor. A furnace and fuel rooms were in its basement. At some point, its function was moved to Morden and the building was eventually demolished.

Registrars

Period

Registrar

1902-1912

George R. Howard

1912-1916

Howard W. H. Knott (1877-?)

1916-1932

John Henderson Haverson (1854-1932)

1933

R. McKay

1939-1943

Richard Forbes Townsend Greer (1888-?)

1945-1959

Bjorn “Bjossi” Stefansson (1888-1963)

Photos & Maps

Carman Land Titles Office

Postcard of Carman Land Titles Office with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in the background at left (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2012-0164

Carman Land Titles Office

Aerial view of the Carman Land Title Office, left, and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, right (1911)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0005

Carman Land Titles Office

Postcard of Carman Land Titles Office (no date)
Source: Dufferin Historical Museum

Carman Land Titles Office

Site of the former Carman Land Titles Office (October 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.50543, W98.00421
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boissevain Land Titles Building (North Railway Street, Boissevain)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Land Titles Building (705 Princess Avenue, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carman Land Titles Building (Second Street SW, Carman)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dauphin Land Titles Building (308 Main Street South, Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morden Land Titles Building (351 Stephen Street, Morden)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neepawa Land Titles Building (329 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Newcomb’s Hollow - Old Deloraine Land Titles Office (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Portage Land Titles Building (103 Third Street NE, Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stonewall Land Titles Building / Stonewall Town Hall (293 Main Street, Stonewall)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Virden Land Titles Office (190 Nelson Street West, Virden)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Land Titles Building (433 Broadway, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Public Buildings Erected and Improved by the Government of Manitoba during the Years 1900-1906, Government of Manitoba, December 1906. [Copy at Archives of Manitoba]

We thank Shirley Snider for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 November 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.