Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (77 Second Avenue SW, Carman)

This impressive building at the intersection of Second Avenue SW and Second Street SW in Carman was opened in February 1899 by the congregation of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. In 1925, the congregation voted to merge with that of Albert Carman Methodist Church to become Carman United Church but separate services were held until July 1941, at which time this church closed. In 1945, the building was sold to the Church of Christ congregation. At some point it was renovated into a private residence, bed and breakfast, and bistro.

Among the clerics of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was Hugh Hamilton (1918-?).

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0081

Postcard of Carman Land Titles Office with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in the background at left

Postcard of Carman Land Titles Office with St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in the background at left (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2012-0164

Aerial view of the Carman Land Title Office, left, and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, right

Aerial view of the Carman Land Title Office, left, and St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, right (1911)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0005

The former St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church building

The former St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church building (October 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church building

The former St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church building (June 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.50575, W98.00400
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Albert Carman Methodist Church / Carman United Church (134 First Street SW, Carman)

Sources:

The Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1880-1980, by the Council of the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1982, pages 202-203.

We thank George Penner and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.