Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bradwardine School No. 1307 / Bradwardine Pioneers Monument (Bradwardine, Municipality of Riverdale)
A pair of monument were erected on the former site of Bradwardine Consolidated School No. 1307, in the village of Bradwardine in what is now the Municipality of Riverdale. The monument, one dedicated in 1970 and the other in 2003, commemorate the pioneers of the Ancrum, Tarbolton, and Bradwardine areas, and to those who built the Bradwardine Community Hall and the Bradwardine Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 179.
The first school at Bradwardine, a one-classroom structure, was built in 1905. Bradwardine Consolidated resulted from the 1915 consolidation of Bradwardine School with Ancrum School No. 329. A second classroom was added to the original building. Over the years, other rural schools in its vicinity closed and their students came here: Tarbolton School No. 297 (1948) and Spring Valley School No. 649 (1959). A new three-room school building was erected in 1956. It closed in 1961 and the Rolling River School Division arranged in July 1969 to move the building to Rivers where it was joined to the Rivers Collegiate.
Among the teachers who worked at Bradwardine School were Ruby F. Donald (1905), Leslie E. Grace (1905), Rev. Handcock (1907), Wallace Graham (1907), Miss Noble (1907), Miss F. A. McNair (1908), Miss M. Dunbrock (1909), Bessie Archibald (1910), Elsie K. Gardner (1911), Miss Wall (1915-1917), Miss Parsons (1918), Miss Bell (1924), Mary Barr (1925), Miss Lund (1927), Miss Lambert (1929), Miss R. White (1932), Jean C. Hunter (1934), Miss A. B. Sedgewick (1936), Isabel Prowse Lamb (1941), Alva Richardson (1943), Mary E. Cole (1943), Joan Bunting (1944), Miss K. Reddon (1946), Louise Garnett (1947), Marie Hooey (1948), Molly Cormack (1949), Mary Lowe (1950), Gladys Graham (1955-1962), Mrs. Charles Howell (1956), Helen Milne (1958-1962), Josephine Wilkes (1962), Beatrice Hutton (1963), Graham Murray (1963), Mary Cole (1964-1968), Miron Paul Swintak (1964), Eldon Robinson (1966-1968), Mrs. Florence (1967), and Phyllis Leslie (1968).
Photos & Maps
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
“Tender,” Rivers Gazette Reporter, 3 July 1969, page 4.
“Teacher changes at R.C.I.”, Rivers Gazette Reporter, 21 August 1969, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Bradwardine and District: A Century and More, 1880-2003 by Bradwardine History Book Committee, 2003.
We thank Keith Maitland and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 June 2017
Back to top of page