Historic Sites of Manitoba: Spring Valley School No. 649 (Municipality of Riverdale)
The first school in the Spring Valley district in what is now the Municipality of Riverdale was established at 12-11-22W by settler John Moore, around 1888. The building was moved by George Buller to NE11-11-22W at the time that a formal school district, Spring Valley School No. 649, was set up. It burned in 1937 and was rebuilt one-half mile west (NW10-11-22W). The lumber for this building came from Clear Lake, being sawn round on one side for a log effect.
The school was closed from 1948 to 1950 due to student enrollment then closed permanently in 1959. The students were transported to Bradwardine Consolidated School No. 1307. The district was officially consolidated with Bradwardine School and Rivers Consolidated School No. 1404. As of March 2012, the building appears unused on private land posted with a “No Trespassing” sign.
Among the teachers who workd at Spring Valley School through the years were Miss M. McBride, Mr. McGregor, Miss Shewfelt, Miss C. Watson, Mina Gallanders, John Hettle, William Campbell, Georgina Riddel, Miss S. Cameron, Gertie Broatch, Eva Ferguson, Dolly Sibbald, Maude Carmichael, Jean McLaren, Miss Bettz, Jim Thomson, Gertie Watson, May Mawer, Alma Sedgewick, J. Crawford McMillan, Helen Langley, Dorothy Phillips, Margaret Shannon, Miss K. Crowston, Victor Michaluk, Winnie Cathcart, Mary Lindberg, and Edith Johns.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Bradwardine and District: A Century and More, Bradwardiine History Book Commitee, 2003.
Page revised: 20 October 2018
Back to top of page