Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beresford Methodist Church / Beresford United Church (Beresford, RM of Whitehead)
The original Beresford Methodist Church, a wood frame structure situated at Beresford in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead, was built during the summer of 1891 and dedicated at a service on 3 November 1891. The church was part of the Kemnay Mission and the cleric resided at Kemnay. In April 1902, the building was destroyed by fire. Construction of a modest brick replacement commenced during the early summer of 1903 by Brandon builder George Hurd. When Hurd went bankrupt, the skeletal building was completed by the parishioners in mid-1904.
In 2007, the former church building was purchased by a Brandon resident and renovated for use as a music venue.
Photos & Coordinates
Beresford Church, 1890-1965: History by Wilmott McComb (1891-1982), 1965. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B47 Ber]
Obituary [Wilmott McComb], Brandon Sun, 4 October 1982, page 39.
“‘Humbled by the space’: Manitoba musician turns derelict church into music venue,” CBC News, 24 September 2017.
We thank Riley Laychuk and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 August 2021