Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beausejour School No. 609 (Beausejour)
The Beausejour School District was formally established in November 1889 and a school building was erected at this site in the village of Beausejour. The second school building, constructed in 1905, was torn down in 1951 when a new building was erected. The first building, which stood one mile east of town, was later moved into Beausejour and used as a Legion Hall.
Among the other teachers of Beausejour School were Guy Chauviere (1950s) and Mary A. Bodnarus (circa 1962-1964).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Beausejour, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, March 1916, Archives of Manitoba.
Beausejour 50th Jubilee: 1912-1962, Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B42 Bea.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Mary Antonia Bodnarus Berch], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 2016.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 October 2016
Back to top of page