Historic Sites of Manitoba: Argyle School No. 122 (RM of Woodlands)
The Argyle School District was organized formally in March 1881 and a schoolhouse operated in the southeasterly corner of SE32-14-1W of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Woodslands. Built in 1883, the first schoolhouse was a wooden frame building measuring 22 feet wide, 18 feet long, and 12 feet high. A replacement structure was erected around 1891, measuring 18 feet wide and 24 feet long. The district was consolidated with Brant School, Warren School, and Woodlands School in 1964 and the dissolved former school area became part of the Interlake School Division. In 1970, the school building was donated and relocated to the Woodlands Pioneer Museum.
Among the teachers who worked at Argyle School through the years were W. B. Cumming (1883), Lamb Connell (1902), Nellie Burrows (1906), Vera Glenn (1906), Mrs. James Rice (1906-1907), Mary F. Dutton (1908), Mabel Thomson (1908), H. L. Doubleday (1909), Mary J. McDonald (1909), Florence E. Long (1910), Miss M. M. Morrison (1910, substitute), A. Gregory (1910), Dorothy R. George (1911), Hazel Stewart (1911), Margaret Lemoine (1913), Lily M. Smith (1914), F. A. Jackson (1915), Myrtle Dunsmore (1916-1917), Mary Campbell (1919-1920), Mary Windsor (1920), Madeline L. Procter (1921), Miss L. D. Mallock (1921), Grace E. Shaw (1921), Magdalene T. Hill (1921-1922), Elva Lizabella Stewart (1922-1925), Margaret Susan “Susie” Nichol (1925-1926), Mildred B. Lelond (1925-1926), Natalie Haehns (1928), Kathleen Johnson (1928), Laura L. J. Holmes (1929), Florence M. Wilkinson (1930-1931), Lillian Rae Calderwood (1933-1937), Kathleen Ethel Bray (1937-1939), Jessie Edna May Reynolds (1939-1940), Aneita Gertrude Snyder (1940-1942), Ruth Trevillian Langrell (1953-1954), Eva Nichol (1954-1955), Gloria Trupp (1955-1956), Leola Johnston (1956-1956), and Isobel Findlay (1957-1964).
Manitoba School Records Collection, Argyle School District No. 122 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Argyle School District No. 122 [- Miscellaneous], GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
School Division Maps - The Interlake School Division No. 21, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 September 2017
Back to top of page