This museum, on Highway No. 6 in the Village of Woodlands in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands, was established in the early 1970s. It has six buildings of pioneer artifacts:
Argyle School No. 122 (1881-1964)
Argyle School operated in the St. Oswald District, at SE32-14-2 west of the Principal Meridian, from March 1881 to June 1964. The building was donated in 1970, becoming the first building on the museum site. It houses the children’s display, doll display, a variety of lamps, quilts, and other artifacts.
The log house, built in 1889, was donated to the museum in 1974 by the Lake Francis Ranches. It contains artifacts used in pioneer homes.
The gallery, so named for its diversity of artifacts, contains such displays as a dairy, doctor’s office, and general store. There are models of how haying was done.
The shed, built in 1979, houses tools, implements, an old fire truck, a covered wagon, washing machines, a cutter, and more.
Graysfield School No. 1708 (1913-1967)
Graysfield School operated at SW27-15-3 west of the Principal Meridian, from October 1913 to April 1967. The building was moved to the museum in 1975. It houses a one-room classroom exhibit, a display of early clothing such as gowns, wedding dresses, and men’s apparel. There is a collection of antique clocks, radios, and buttons (including a button that is over 400 years old). This building also houses a small chapel with a headstone donated in 1996, describing the tragic night when four members of John Taylor’s family lost their lives.
St. Luke’s Anglican Church (Poplar Heights)
Parishioners of this church donated the building, erected in 1910, to the museum in 1982. Worship services are held in it occasionally.
This cairn on the grounds of the museum was erected in late 1998 by the descendents of George Charles Mannix and Frances Bunn to honour their son, Frederick Stephen Mannix and his wife Byryid, and to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of his company, Loram International Corporation.
Woodlands Pioneer Museum is open daily, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Thursdays to Mondays, from the second Sunday in June until the end of August. It is open evenings, and Tuesdays and Wednesdays, by appointment only. Call for bus and school tours.
For See also:
Woodlands Pioneer Museum
Woodlands, Manitoba R0C 3H0
(204) 322-5671 or (204) 383-5589
Woodlands Pioneer Museum (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.20353, W97.65527
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Graysfield School No. 1708 (1913-1967)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Luke’s Anglican Church Poplar Heights (RM of Woodlands)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 December 2011
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.