Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodlands Consolidated School No. 25 (Woodlands, RM of Woodlands)
In April 1875, Woodlands School No. 25 was established on the northeast corner 9-14-2 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands, on land donated by farmer David Porteous. The location proved unacceptable to many of the area residents so they raised $700 and moved the building one mile east, to NW22-14-2W. It operated here until April 1919 when it merged with other small schools to become Woodlands Consolidated School in a new building erected in 1920. The school continued to operate on the same site until April 1967 when it became part of the Interlake School Division. This monument, located just west of the school site, was dedicated on 8 July 2000.
Other teachers at Woodlands Consolidated School, between the 1890s and June 1967, included the following: Daniel Baldwin (1890s), Beatrice Aune, Violet Bailey, Helen Janet Bauch, Herbert Baxter, Vilborg Sigridur Breckman, Isabel Broadfoot, Alice Irene Carlson, Jessie Chisholm, John Comrie, Douglas Cosgrove, Laura Courtney, Amy Davidson, Annie Deacon, Iris Diamond, Anne Driediger, Isabel Findley, E. A. Finglund, Dorothy Fleury, Lillie Froese, Muriel Fultz, Elsie Gardner, Valerie Gislason, Charlotte Green, Ruth Griffin, Ina Harris, William Helston, Grace Hjaltason, St. George Jeffrey, Rosa Johnson, William Kotelko, Peter Kroeker, Kathleen Larter, Roy James Little, Flora Margetson, Edith Martin, James Martin, Joyce Mason, Margaret McLaughlin, Annie McLeod, Betty Ann McLeod, Florence McMullen, Alda Isabel Miller, David Miller, Mona Morris, Ethel Morrison, Susie Nichol, Margaret Patterson, Elsie Pearse, Gilbert Peter, Deanne Petrus, Jean Robertson, Tom Rothwell, M. Roy, Marie Sweitzer, Anne Drediger, Carol Sigurdson, Don Senchuk, Richard Staub, Don Smith, Jane Thomson, Dorothy Swinburne, Russell Tymos, Hermann Wagner, Dorothy Winter, Dianne Westrum, Doug Zeck, and Edith A. Fingland.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Yesteryears - Woodlands Municipal Memoirs by Opal Langrell, 1978.
Woodlands School Memories, 2000. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 July 2019
Back to top of page