Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brant Consolidated School No. 1703 (Argyle, RM of Rockwood)
When the Canadian Northern Railway built a line through the Interlake region, the village of Argyle was established on 18-14-1E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. A school district was established here to replace two smaller one-room schools in the vicinity: Brant School No. 84 and McLeod School No. 239.
A two-storey brick veneer school building was erected in late 1914. Designed by Winnipeg architect Frank R. Evans, and initially comprising two classrooms, increasing student enrollment through the 1920s necessitated the addition of two classrooms in 1929. A gymnasium was added to the rear of the building in the late 1970s. It is a rare surviving example of a consolidated school still in use as a school, and is a provincially designated heritage site.
Photos & Maps
“Tenders for building school,” Stonewall Argus, 29 April 1914, page 8.
Brant Consolidated School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Hands Across the Meridian: A History of Brant-Argyle, Manitoba by Argyle History Book Committee, 2000, page 74.
We thank Shayne Campbell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2016
Back to top of page