Historic Sites of Manitoba: Archwood School (800 Archibald Street, Winnipeg)
Planning for the Archwood School, within the Norwood School District No. 2113, began in 1952 to help alleviate crowding at Queen Elizabeth School and King George V School. By March 1953, construction of the eight-classroom building was underway. It was completed at a cost of around $165,000 and opened on 14 September. It was immediately so full that a portion of the gymnasium was partitioned into a ninth classroom. The official opening ceremony was attended by 1,000 local residents with dignitaries including St. Boniface Mayor Edwin Arnold Hansford, Norwood School Board Chairman Nelson King McIntyre, MP-elect Fernand Viau, School Inspector Celeste Joseph Muller, and St. Boniface School Board trustee J. K. Marion, along with Norwood School Board members Gordon A. Hill, George V. Hague, J. K. Dryborough, and John Wilfred “Jack” McGurran. Four classrooms, designed by the architectural firm of Smith, Carter, Katelnikoff, were added to the building in 1955 by the construction firm of Ducharme Hamilton Company Limited.
The school would later become part of the Norwood School Division before amalgamating with the St. Boniface School Division to form the Louis Riel School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Archwood School through the years were Elizabeth Loiselle (1953-1958), Edward A. Loiselle, and Jim Hunt.
Photos & Maps
“Nordale plans school east of Seine,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 September 1952, page 3.
“Heavy construction program is planned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 March 1953, page 3.
“Of Archwood School tea to mark opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 October 1953, page 17.
“Mayor opens new school in Norwood” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 October 1953, page 3.
“Safety patrols to receive coats, hats,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 June 1954, page 10.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1954, page 3.
“St. Boniface mayor vote landslide,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1954, page 1.
“School addition contract awarded,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1954, page 10.
“Archwood School patrol,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 June 1983, page 27.
“Tremblay footbridge decision pending,” Free Press Weekly, 7 May 1989 South Edition, page 1.
“Archwood students submit essays, recipes for anniversary cookbook,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 October 2003, page W9.
“Lives at risk from divers texting, eating, reading ...” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 2012, page A4.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 28 February 2017
Back to top of page