Memorable Manitobans: John Wilfred “Jack” McGurran (1916-1991)
Pharmaceutical representative, municipal official.
Born at Nokomis, Saskatchewan on 21 March 1916, eldest son of Daniel P. McGurran and Josephine Fraser, he moved to Saskatoon at the age of 12 where he attended St. Mary’s School and Bedford Rhode Collegiate. He entered the School of Pharmacy at the University of Saskatchewan and graduated in 1940. He joined the Royal Canadian Army later that year and transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force, serving until 1945 at Dauphin, Souris, and Winnipeg. Upon release from the military, he worked as a salesman for Ingram and Bell Company (1945-1947) and Charles R. Frosst Company (1947-1973), and Merck, Sharpe and Dohme Company (1973-1981). In July 1982, he was appointed as a special consultant to Glaxo Company.
He served as a trustee and Chairman of the Norwood School Division (1951-1952), Alderman in St. Boniface (1955-1958), President of the Parent-Teacher Association for Prendergast School (1959), a member of the St. Boniface General Hospital Advisory Board, and a member of the Board of Directors for the Red River Exhibition. In 1967, he received the Canadian Centennial Medal. While serving on the Winnipeg Metro Council (1967-1971), he was Chairman of the Personnel Committee, Vice-Chairman of the Finance Committee, Vice-Chairman of the Planning Committee, Vice-Chairman of Planning-Hearings Committee, and a member of the Metro Special Grants Committee. He served as President of the Cooks Creek Polish Museum for a number of years.
He died on 20 April 1991 and was buried in the Cooks Creek Cemetery.
Ville Cathedral de Saint Boniface: The Cathedral City, promotional pamphlet, c1958.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 April 1991, page 23.
We thank Anthony Wlock for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 May 2020