Historic Sites of Manitoba: Flora School / Amaranth School No. 1534 (Amaranth, RM of Alonsa)
Known as Flora School District No. 1534 when it was organized in May 1910, named for early settler Flora Robinson, a small schoolhouse was situated at SW12-19-10W in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa. It became Flora Consolidated School District in 1913 and a new school building was erected at SE11-19-10W. The original building was moved to Harcus where it was renovated into an Anglican church. In 1920, the name was changed to Amaranth Consolidated School and plans were made for a new four-classroom school in Amaranth. Completed by the fall of 1921, it operated until 1953 when it was destroyed by fire. A new school was constructed on the same site and, in 1967, it became part of the Turtle River School Division. The school closed in 1981 and students were transferred to the Amaranth Collegiate building. A plaque commemorating the school was erected by the Amaranth History Book Committee in July 1994 on the site of a war memorial.
Among the other teachers at Amaranth School was George L. Dibblee (1919-1921).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Amaranth East topographic map, 62J/10 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Teachers begin year in Turtle River S.D.,” Dauphin Herald, 10 September 1980, page 24.
Seasons of Our Lives, A History of Amaranth and District, Manitoba, Canada by Amaranth Historical Society, 1985.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 November 2018
Back to top of page